Here's to the annual year-end post from si TerHannan. Honestly speaking, Many things have happened to me this year that I don't even know where to start. Unlike previous years where I had a pretty good idea of what to write in a nutshell, I really am clueless as to what categories to even put in this year. Well, safe to say I'd definitely put in important events that happened this year, such as "Posting to DISCOM" and of course I won't forget "people that have changed me". But as for the rest? I am still wracking my head to see what I want to put in for this year.
You see, 2013 was an otherwise rather boring year for me since the bulk of it was spent in NS. It was the year that I foresaw when I enlisted as "the dry year". I say that because there is really nothing much but NS this year. Perhaps the occasional CCI program and BFCs for the year, but that isn't something that should be so public. So here's to the dry year, I turn 20.
Format wise, no need for collapsible sections, no special mentions because there aren't a great amount so they will all fall in the last section. But in each section, there will be a "significant events" portion under that header as they all have something important I'd like to bring up that happened this year.
Content outline:
Posting to DISCOM
CCI and I
Flash Mob episode
People I am glad to have met
Posting to DISCOM
I was posted to DISCOM sometime in March to April period. I can't remember extactly when but I still recall the moment when I got my posting there and realised that no one else who was with me waiting for their posting was going with me. What surprised me even more was that I had never heard of "DISCOM" and did not know where it fell under; was it Artillery? Infantry? Special forces? Armour? It didnt seem to fit anywhere! So what was it?
I went to Kranji Camp 3, followed the signs all the way to DISCOM expecting some kind of happening stay-in personnel ready for combat action. Nope, all I saw was a door that said "3 DISCOM office" and stood flabbergasted. Knocked on the door and looked for the person listed in my document. As with most newly posted in personnel, I had to give a background info of myself and was essentially useless for the first few days. They knew about my sleeping problem which I hoped they empathised with. True enough, I fell asleep on the first day doing a simple job; tearing up paper (their shredder was spoiled recently so I became a manual, human one). It was amazing, falling asleep tearing paper. Unbelievable.
But here is where things started to turn. Turns out, I was assigned to Mr Peter's section, or the S1 of the office, handling manpower, NSmen and In camp training. After about lunchtime, I heard we were all going out for lunch. I WAS FLABBERGASTED. 1st day here and I already have a half day?! I was kinda blown away that for one thing, we were having a half day to have cohesion lunch. On top of that, two guys in my section drove and had their own cars. O.O I got to ride in someone's car to have lunch near my area.
Even more so, since out of the whole S1 branch, I was the only Malay guy there, so they had lunch at a non-halal place and ordered pork (which I gleefully ate). Mr Peter's reaction was so priceless that day, so was Fabian's and Joshua's. From then on, came a bumpy and thunderous yet beautiful journey with the S1 guys.
Significant events
Over the course of my first few months there, I was clearly not having an easy time. I could sense that majority of the guys found me either disliked me or found me irritating. I could tell because they were the kind of people that I already knew I would have trouble working with just by their personalities alone. Friend who know me know the kind of person I am, and most of the guys there were very... if I can put simply, Air* kind of people. To put in even more layman terms, we had opposite and even adverse traits so it didn't help our working relationship.
Ironically enough, what changed it all was a simple game. I started playing Tower of Saviours because I knew about it from Francis (he was the medic in my bunk at 30 SCE) who was playing it and I wanted to play it too but never found out the title of the game. I then saw my little brother playing the game and he told me about it so I went to download it. I played it for 4-5 hours straight, from 9 at night. Addicted ever since. So much so, when Syed recently posted in, he saw me playing the game and tried it out. He got addicted to it too, and started playing as well. Then Fabian saw me and Syed playing it during break time and figured that he give it a try too since he liked puzzle games. He got hooked. Then came along Matthew, after being psychoed by Syed, and before long, even Boon Siang joined in.
I honestly thought my life in S1 branch would be difficult because of our contrasting personalities, but this game and being fucked on a regular basis by our supervisor really brought us together. If we weren't talking about work, we would be discussing about TOS. I never thought I would see a simple game on the phone bring so many of us together. It was by far the most significant and beautiful that happened to me in DISCOM, our bonds with each other are now much stronger simply because we all played the same game. :')
-------------
To sum up, DISCOM, is one place I really treasure going to. It has changed me so much, going from combat personnel to an office, administrative role. I've learnt so much there, I will never forget the lessons I learnt there, but I think I'll save it for March 2014 when I make a blogpost solely for my life as an NSF once I ORD.
CCI and I
Intro para to CCI: Talk about life so far, programs done in a few pictures,
Significant events:
BFC 49
Sad to say, there aren't any pictures that I have at hand from BFC 49, the BFC ever BFC I co-hosted and whose participants are still near and dear to me. To this day, a bulk of them from 49 are still the friends that I hang out with, chill, and just have all out fun with in CCI. I am really thankful for this bunch because they are helping to make a strong foundation of a loving family bond whenever I am with CCI and Cheerios.
It was so much so, I went through a significant risk just to be there for them, even though I was genuinely unwell the day before, and got into a lot of trouble the following week, I was really happy to have pulled it of for them, with them. Being a co-host wasn't easy, and I was glad that my friends were there to be there for me when I wasn't at my 100%. I saw CCI in a completely new light after being a co-host, a learning experience I could never buy, nor money paid back to me to compensate. This BFC, simply put was a significant event as a Cheerio, with a long lasting effect on not only me, but to the company too.
Much love to you, 49-ers. <3 br="">
Annual Dinner3>
![]() |
| CCI Annual Dinner 2013! |
Annual dinner, for 2013 was a huge success. Lets get that out, it was one of main highlights of the year, one where tons of cheerios be it old and new came together for some very merry Cheerio fun. A platform where we could all come together and simply bask in the laughter, along with the atmosphere that we all went through almost the same thing. It was an inexplicably unfathomable bond that not everyone could see but we felt it when we were there.
I mention this here mainly because I was part of the committee to help Annual Dinner this year. After being doing office work for so long in NS, I've come to realise that even having a small part in a committee will go a long way. I basically handled the trophy liasing and did - AWARD NOMINEES PLEASE DONT KILL ME - the slide show for that day. Though it was small role, It was still an great learning experience working with the committee. They were really good people to work with, and not to mention that I found myself working very professionally when it came to Annual Dinner related matters. It was the one avenue where I have finally learnt to transit from being professional, and being myself. Glad to be have been part of the Annual Dinner Committee. Really.
Flash mob episode
This year, I took part in a flash mob for POSB. I initially followed my lil bro Hakim to go and see what it was like, with no expectation to even take part in their rehearsal that day. Though much to my chagrin, his friends and even Ryuju urged me to join the practice, so I did. I was not even keen to learn a dance that everyone else knew and I didn't but as it turns out, their previous choreography got scrapped, and we all had to learn new moves from scratch. After rehearsing with them for a good 1-2 hours, everyone learnt the whole dance for the flash mob. It was so simple and easy, anyone could have learnt it quickly. So I thought: well since I've already learnt the dance moves, I'll just join them for the flash mob then!
True enough, I had a really good time dancing in the flash mob, making new friends and generally having fun in a new environment. Glad to have met such really fun and vibrant people like Esther, Saad, Ardella, Bala, Yi Xin and the silly malay b-boys Iskandar, his bro and Hilmee. Such funny guys - BINGQILIN - I swear.
Here is a video, it's kinda short but enjoy.
http://distilleryimage6.s3.amazonaws.com/977ec758647b11e39edc0e8f330c44ee_102.mp4
http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/adf31836646c11e38187123d95e2970d_102.mp4
=========================================================
People I am glad to have met
This section of the post is where I express my gratitude to people I have met this year mainly because they have managed to impact me significantly, in a way that they may not even know.
Hello you Tevan, I remember you as being one of the few friends in 30 SCE that I made who really helped me out, and I mean it, big time. We both knew the problem I had there, and though it was really awful, I still chose to be a pushover and let it run over me. But I really have to thank you, because you were not one to allow such a thing to happen. Let alone to me. I really appreciate all those times you helped to keep me awake and stop other people from pushing me around. Simply put, you were a great buddy to have when people didn't take to me very well. For that I am really glad to have met you, thanks a million Tevan. You saved me at a perilous time. :)
Hi Claire! Met you at Baybeats with your sister who knows Wavven through church and some extensive network of his I have yet to understand. WAHAHAHA. I still remember that day, in the moshpit, with a crotch in my face and multiple beatings in unexpected places. On top of that having to look after you when you fell down in the pit cos it looked like you were kind helpless after a while. HEHEHE. Anyway, listening to you and all the stuff you told me that day kind of opened my eyes to a whole new different perspective of life. There's something about depression I could never understand as a perpetually optimistic guy. I'm glad that you opened that door to let me even glimpse even just a little bit of it. I really applaud your efforts to help such people, it really is touching to know that you are a person of that capacity. Glad to have met you in 2013, for a depressing kid, you' tend to radiate a happiness otherwise. :)
================================================
The Wrap Up
To sum it up, yes, 2013 has been a dry year, but I feel that with every year, I grow wiser and I meet people who evidently have made a significant impact in my life. It is this annual year-end post that makes me grateful and appreciate the people I have met, the things I have done and events that have happened to me. Every little thing counts, it is really a matter of whether we have bothered to scrutinize it in detail and realise if these things that happened in the year made us or break us.
So on May 30th, I turn 20, I am no longer a teen, but this year has taught me profound lessons and given me new friends I will truly treasure for as long as I live. Thank you, good night lovely people. :)
Found myself writing this.




No comments:
Post a Comment