Ah yes oh hello again.
That recent post of "By hook or by cook" came by terribly. Just corrected. Not that anyone is watching but I'd like to act like I'm famous (HAH JOKE! (Self-filtering mechanism activated(NO STOP))). Oh dear, the hell happened there. But that isn't what this post is about. Okay back to the point.
So recently, I FINALLY yes, emphasis on FINALLY, got to meet up my dear best friend Shawn Skip'. Mind you, everyone has different definitions of "best friend" and for me, he really has become my best friend for so many reasons which I will further explain here. It gets kind of tiring to put up with how other people define this word and try to impose it on me. So lets just leave it at that.
I got to meet him during on a late Saturday afternoon at his school campus; Lasalle College of The Arts. I've got to say, pretty nice open campus they have there. Waited for him at this nice green patch called the "Campus Court" I believe. Simply seeing people around the campus gave me this hunch that everyone there (or at least I think so) has a certain brand of eccentricity to them or perhaps a really whacky idiosyncrasy that must have drawn them to an Arts school such as Lasalle. Simply thoughts that flow in my head when I'm alone and trying to read The Importance of Being Earnest.
Shawn finally came, without a bag to my surprise. Thought he'd bring a bag but then again, he said he was only there just to watch a play. Just as we were about to leave, I had this presumption that just like everywhere else that he has studied or hung out, he would know pretty much "everyone" (yes everyone is an exaggeration) and greet or bid goodbye to someone he knows over an interval or 20 seconds. TRUE ENOUGH THAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED. He hugged and bid goodbye to an Indian girl, bid goodbye to a Malay dude with curly hair, and bid goodbye to another Malay dude with a girlfriend. All of that happening not necessarily in 20 seconds of each other but it did fulfill my presumption about him. Still as socially adept as he was back then. So proud of him! XD
Went to have a drink and lunch with him at Jailani's, talking about life thus far. One of the things that reminded me why he is and is still my best friend was because I was able to accept him completely. From his idiosyncrasies, his brand of eccentricity, antics, habits, jokes, dreams, and even down to his smoking habit, ADHD and OCD duo. Likewise, he was able to accept everything about me, even though we didn't walk the same paths in education our hearts still walked in tangent regardless.
On a side note, I was proud to hear that he got a scholarship at Lasalle because of his audition. When I asked whether he recorded it, he said it wasnt recorded. I really wanted to see him in action but that was when he reminded me, time and time again "there's only one person I feel nervous to perform in front of and that's you. That's because... you're my role model". Couldn't help but feel honoured and flattered, but after so long of putting up with shit lately, it really made me feel good about myself and reminded me about the person I wanted to be. Thanks Shawn, it helped a lot.
At some point, we had to cross a busy street which I protested against him because it wasn't safe. He said something along the line of "You see what army is doing to you? It is killing your creativity to cross the road, it can still be done!" And we dashed across the street with Shawn screaming every now and then. Though it wasn't safe, somehow, in order to experience some of the better things in life, we have to take risks, even if it means risking our lives at some point. That little thrill he brought me along with still brings back the good old days when we were still young dumb and (still) full of cum. I've missed this side of him so badly I'd like to see it in myself again too, but circumstances force me otherwise. Oh well. Only with him can I be at my most honest and true self.
He was... the kind of person who could make any situation look fun and comical. We went to Bugis Square to look at some products at Sephora. Shawn has recently been very conscious about his grooming so he actually kind of takes it a lot more seriously. Right before we entered Sephora, he said "Look we gotta sashay our way in." and did what my bunkmates in Jurong camp may recognise as "doing the Sergeant Nigel." He looked more like a monkey walking in and I happily joined him in it. Ahh good times.
Busy looking at perfumes for girls and guys, I honestly thought Sephora was once of those female exclusive stores. There was this fragrance called Lady Gaga Fame deodarant and Justin Bieber fragrance. Just couldn't stop laughing at the immense joke potential of the two fragrances. WAHAHAHAHA.
After all that, we finally went to get some dinner at this place called "Everything With Fries." Didn't mind treating him even though the bill at the end of the meal amounted to $41 bucks. Anyway, it was only there that we really do some serious chatting, talking about my problems, about him, the troubles we've faced, issues that friends have, and so much much more. At some point, we even talked about the history of our friendship.
We even brought up the blog that recorded our younger days in Sec 1 and early sec 2 doing something we called "Street Comedy". It was funny how we actually came to that. I was even more surprised that I managed to recall the extact name of the blog because I was really trying to search it the day before to reminisce about those good times. The blog name being... www.plain-empty.blogspot.com
Go ahead, read it and have a good laugh. Shawn and I had a really awesome laugh over it. Laughing over his previous images, our mindsets and the way we think back then. There some really fucking funny lines that him and I said, as well as some really thoughtful ones.
Such as:
"For Sex I Do Not Need Tips!!! I Need Step-By-Step Instructions!!!"
"If God gave me and Hannan a wish right now, we'll wish for a camera man."
"When I Pay 10 Cents To Enter A toilet,ICome Out ,And I Still Ask For Change In Return."
"Instead Of Spending On Stereo Systems In Fast-Food Outlets,They Should Save Up More Money For Toilet Rolls."
"I went to the convinience store the other day,and took out one of their magazines and started reading it,then the clerk was like,"this is not a library!" so I said,"then I should talk louder!"
"In The Bus)Hannan:man i can't remember whats my name.
Shawn:I know you just came back to Singapore,from Malaysia,and guess what,don't be dumb,I just told you your name 5 minutes ago."
"(Lot 1) Nobody notices me and hannan
(Shawn Throws A huge Paper Ball Recklessly, behind his back)
(And Hannan Tries To Catch It Like his Trying To Catch A Rugby ball,falling down and all.)
(what a touchdown)"
"Nowadays,You Know What I Hate About Departmental Stores? ,They Sell Things That Obviously Have No Use,Toy guns,Stink Bombs,Whatever"
"the way to get famous? enter a record store and leave your cd in there,when the cashier says "sir,i guess you left something?"you say"No...Its ON Sale,ALPHABETIZE IT..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And so much more. You really got to read it on the blog itself, its a treasure trove of the history of our friendship. Doesn't get any richer than that. On that note, I realise one of the phrases that I've heard around so often: when you do stupid things when you are young, you'll have something to laugh at when you grow old.
True enough, I found myself laughing so hard with Shawn when we dug up our old blog. That moment was so beautiful, enriching and reinvigorating. I feel like I have so much more to live for now that I've seen what kind of a funny silly kid I was back when I was only... 12? I'm freaking 19 now and I have a dream to chase after.
I honestly also wanted to make this blogpost more about Shawn and my friendship with him. Guess I shall leave that for some other time. That Saturday was a magical one, never felt so refreshed after such a long personal turmoil.
Thanks Shawn, its days like this that cement the fact that you really are indeed my best friend, time and distance can never break that strong bond that we have created together.
To end this post, I shall quote something he reminded me, and something I said to him before we began our Street Comedy journey at that time.
"Familiarity breeds contempt" - Shawn/Trent
"From humble beginnings, to arrogant endings." - Hannan/Camis
Found myself writing this.
Saturday, November 17
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment