Good morning.
Today was the state funeral procession for the late Lee Kuan Yew, the first prime minister of Singapore.
As I was watching it unfold on channel 5, as the casket travelled to the Universal Cultural Center in NUS, a part of me could not help but wish that I join the queue to pay respects to him while his body was still at the Istana. Part of me did not want to partially for the long line that was reportedly 6-8 hours long and another part of me knew that I did not have to do such a thing to pay respect to him. There was more that we can do on an individual level to pay respect to him.
I am not writing this after having just seen the end of the broadcast of his state funeral procession. Honestly, watching all the testimonials and words that people had for him, didn't really stir me. But when children had to express their words for this man, it was really hard to hold back tears. Not because these were children and innocent in all their expressions, but it really hit me so hard how good they had it because of him. For them to express their love for him so honestly really tore apart the bitterness and cynicism an adult like me can hold - not for him, but rather in general - for so long.
I am really appreciative of all that he has done and yes I know he didn't have the most popular of policies and I know of people who were not quite pleased with some of the actions he has taken. I was not quite aware of all that but I know that I am definitely aware that all he has done, I have felt and am living it.
I really would have liked for him to live long enough to see Singapore turn 50, but now, I am quite happy that he has passed on because it meant that it is time for him to go, despite all that we could have wished for. I am happy to know he is reuniting with his wife up above, and not to mention have the best view of the future of Singapore unfold before his eyes in heaven. For that, I am truly happy for him.
Happy and appreciative, that's what I feel for him now that he has passed on. I do not wish to feel sad, but there is so much that we have to thank him for that we really ought to be investing ourselves in having him feel proud of what we can do with Singapore now that it is what he has envisaged it to be.
In retrospect, had I been one of the Singaporeans back when he was first elected as the Prime Minister to lead Singapore, whatever he had envsioned at that point of time would be rather fantastic and almost unrealistic. But now that I think of it, had I truly lived the times of late 60's Singapore and see it to what it has become now, I would definitely have been tearing endlessly seeing how much LKY's efforts have transformed the various landscapes of Singapore. His leadership and efforts have been far reaching his legacy is almost inescapable. We, the current generation of Singaporeans are living the life that he envisioned in 1968. For this alone, it may never be enough to simply pay respects to him at the Istana with flowers and what not.
There is really so much more that we can do for him. He has brought the country up. Now that it can finally stand on its own two feet formidably and become a force to be reckoned with in the world, we have step forward now and bring Singapore into something that he would be proud of.
It is kind of like watching a child grow up to be an adult, he was the watchful overseer for all of us, and now that we are strong and able, we have to get out there and make something of ourselves, of Singapore.
If not for the Singapore he envisioned, I realise that my dreams would have no foundation to build from either. I remember discussing with Alphonsus, where we both wish to make Singapore an international arts hub, like how America has Broadway, the UK has West End. We wanted to make a Nanyang Street in Singapore. That's my goal. And when it does happen, I hope it would be something he would be proud of as we are building on his legacy. His legacy is a great example of how resolute we should be as Singaporeans. With that, I find my own resolve strengthened after being reminded of all he has done for us and how he was able to see it all through. That is a moment that many people may never even experience in their lives. I have a goal to achieve, and now I'll see it through to the end.
Thank you, Mr. Lee Kuan Yew.
Sunday, March 29
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment